On Sunday, March 17th, Saint Aloysius Academy will welcome a group of educators who will evaluate our Academy according to the standards set by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. This is a process which takes place every seven years so schools may renew their accreditation. Our immediate preparation for this accreditation process began in 2017. Many parents, boys and staff members participated with our preparation by completing online surveys. Our school community has spent many long hours working and reflecting on our achievements and accomplishments. Our goal is to move forward and continue to challenge ourselves to enhance our curriculum and seek improvement in areas that need to be strengthened.
I have included some highlights from our Self Study. I will continue to send information to you concerning our Accreditation process.
- One of the many highlights of our Self-Study is in Social Studies in that the skills and knowledge of the curriculum are well articulated and coordinated between all teachers at each grade level and by teachers across the grade levels.
- Also, the elements of Catholic Social Teaching are prevalent throughout the Social Studies curriculum by promoting ideas of faith, good citizenship, and community relationships.
- In the Sciences, we have a strong school-wide commitment to the integration of Science, Technology, Religion, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics (STREAM) Program.
- We also have identified strengths by meeting the diverse learning needs of our students through using various instructional strategies and modalities to serve each individual student in a supportive, safe and positive classroom environment.
- We have also created two foundational documents – Beliefs of our School and Profile of a Graduate. These foundational documents lead, guide, and inspire us and our students to understand and live out what God has called us to do.
- In moving forward, we have initiated an Action Plan in Science with the objective of formalizing an analysis of individual student performance on a year-to-year basis to be used as a reference throughout the course of students’ progression through the curriculum. Included in this plan for Growth and Improvement is a timeline to begin in the 2019-2020 school year.
- Also, included in our Action Plan is developing a metric or formal system for tracking student performance in Social Studies, formalizing departmental collaboration, and reviewing the curriculum to check for appropriate scaffolding. The timeline to begin our plan for Growth and Improvement will begin in the 2019-2020 school year extending to the end of 2021.
In all, we are striving to grow as an Academy to lead and prepare your sons to assume with confidence roles of Christian leadership and service as men for others, and to partner with you to prepare your sons to develop his God-given talents in order to meet the opportunities and challenges of the 21st century.
We count on your prayer support as we welcome our Middle States visiting Team on March 17-20.